To Flip or Not To Flip?

Wow! I am seriously considering this Flipped-Classroom thing! This is exactly what John Dewey discusses in Experience and Education! The flipped classroom allows for the class time to be used for creating real experiences in which students are interacting, creating, and actually doing something. Lectures, which are boring but sometimes necessary, can be stopped, paused, rewound, and revisited at the students’ convenience and patience-level at home. Personally, I like to think of myself as a successful student, but I would love the opportunity to stop and start lectures at my will– I just need little breaks sometimes, and there’s nothing wrong with that. In addition, think how this type of classroom experience would affect school relationships– teacher and students, student-to-student, and even teachers and other teachers– I feel like school would become a less stressful space, and transform into a place that everyone looks forward to going to. Instead of associating school with boredom, students would see the school building as a place of fun and connection and creativity energy.

I decided to pretend that I currently have a flipped classroom. This fake-class is an 11th grade English class, and we are currently working on college admissions essays. Our in-class activity was completing a brainstorming worksheet individually, which is just a series of personal questions that ask the students to reflect on their experiences, and then doing a pair-and-share. Following the pair-and-share, students will conduct mock interviews: one student as college admissions counselor and the other as a prospective student. The “counselor” will have a sheet of set questions to ask the student, and then after one interview round the students will switch positions.

The “homework” would be a 5 minute lecture from me (the teacher) about writing the introduction paragraph for an admissions essay. After viewing the lecture, students would be required to view sample essays and listen to my Vocaroo recording that goes along with it. Students would be asked to come to class the next day prepared with notes and observations on these sample essays, and we would launch into writing their introduction paragraphs and peer-workshopping them in class. It’s a cycle! See? I love this stuff.

Cyclical learning is a cornerstone of John Dewey’s philosophy of education; or, to use his words, ““experience lives on in further experience” (Dewey, 1938, p. 27). I couldn’t have said it better myself. I love this flipped classroom format because it allows for learning to happen in a circle, rather than in a linear fashion; there is no beginning or end, just a continuous experience. I hate to seem self-important, but I couldn’t help but think to of a blog post I wrote in my first education course (Foundations with our own Dr. Coffman). The post is entitled “My Teaching Philosophy,” and in it I describe how cyclical learning is important to me; I don’t want to teach the school year as “the beginning, the middle, the end,” but rather an ever-renewing opportunity for growth and creation– like recycling. Besides, when you’re always focused on the end, you never learn how to appreciate the right-now, and that is no way to live (inside or outside of school). My mind is really churning now, I appreciate the inspiration.

References

Dewey, John. (1938). Experience and Education. New York, NY: Touchstone.

Tags: , ,

2 Responses to “To Flip or Not To Flip?”

1. Cassandra Trumbetic says:

I like the way you thought so indepthfully about your fake classroom. I did not elaborate on mine, but I like the idea of cyclical learning. I had this thought, but I did not have a name for it. In my fake classroom, I would have a year-long web-based project that would incorporate material throughout the year. Unfortunately, social studies (my content area) is not very cyclical, but more chronological, but I could still find ways to make my fake classroom into this form of learning. This was an excellent post and I enjoyed your addition of multimedia to demonstrate how to keep content interesting.

2. Kayla Patterson says:

I really like your pretend classroom. I feel oddly inspired too after learning of this “flipped” classroom. I am not sure I could pull it off because I personally love the idea of teaching in the inner city with low income families but I tell you what these Woodson teachers were on to something. It makes so much sense to me that when you’re in the classroom students do it all. Outside. You should be there offering guidance because I have been the kid that stops doing the work because I don’t get it. But if I could have watched my teacher’s lecture… shoot fire!!! SUCCESS!